Scented with cinnamon, this dish has an Arabic flavour, and is delicious served with alongside courgette and feta fritters. Serves 4 – 6.
4 tablespoon olive oil
2-inch piece cinnamon
1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
9 oz/ 225g pumpkin or butternut squash flesh, diced
3 oz/ 75g coarse bulgur wheat
Salt and pepper
6 fl oz/ 175 ml water
1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 scant teaspoon icing sugar (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan, and fry the cinnamon stick for 10 – 15 seconds.
2. Add the onion and fry for 2 minutes until lightly brown. Add the garlic and stir.
3. Add the pumpkin and seasoning and cook with the lid on for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the water and bulgur wheat and bring to the boil. Add parsley.
5. Cover and cook on low heat for 20 – 25 minutes. Take the lid off, and cover the pot with a tea towel. Put the lid back on and set aside for 20 minutes.
6. Fluff gently with a fork, and sprinkle with icing sugar (if using) before serving.